MacBook Pro devices have been the favorite of professionals for more than a decade now. The high-quality typing experience offered by the laptop has played a vital role in retaining this position. However, we’d not say the same about the durability of the keyboard, though, especially if you have a MacBook Pro with a Butterfly mechanism keyboard.
This is why MacBook Pro keyboard covers have become so popular nowadays. A keyboard cover lays on top of the built-in keyboard of your MacBook Pro and protects the keys from issues like dust, debris, and a certain extent of wear and tear. So, even if you want to use your MacBook Pro in a dusty environment, you will not have to face the keyboard hiccups.
At the same time, you have to choose a keyboard cover that doesn’t hinder your smooth typing experience. There are also a few factors to keep in mind while selecting the products from today’s market. Understanding these things, we set out to research and found the best MacBook Pro keyboard covers you can buy in 2020 for 13”, 15” and 16” variants of Apple MBP.
Table of Contents
- UPPERCASE GhostCover is the overall best option if you are looking for an ultra-thin yet adequate keyboard cover. Although a little expensive, this accessory would protect the Butterfly keys from all sorts of potential damage.
- Batianda New Ombre can also protect your MBP keyboard but at a lower cost. More importantly, this is a multicolor keyboard case, and you can customize your MacBook Pro keyboard by choosing color-based variants.
- MOSISO Silicone Keyboard Cover is our recommended choice if you prefer having a pure-color cover for your MBP keyboard. This cover can protect your keyboard setup from dust and debris while choosing a color that suits your taste.
Who Should Get This?
We think you should get a keyboard case for MacBook Pro if you can relate to the following situations.
- You use your MacBook Pro in a dusty environment. Due to this, you may find some problems with keystrokes and the overall keyboard. This may ultimately lead to a dip in productivity as well.
- You want to customize how the MacBook Pro keyboard looks. You may want to add some color that gets amplified, thanks to the backlit system.
- You prefer having a more tactile typing experience. Some MacBook Pro keyboard cases add a strong layer on top, which improves tactile feedback.
- You like to have food or beverages without the fear of the crumbs destroying your MBP keyboard. A well-built keyboard case can increase the longevity of the MBP as well.
Best MacBook Pro Keyboard Covers: What to Consider in 2024?
Here are a few things you should consider while choosing a MacBook Pro keyboard cover in 2024.
- Level of Protection: This is probably the most important thing, as the cover has to protect your MBP from dust and debris. For instance, if you consume a lot of food, leaving a lot of crumbs, you should get an ultra-strong protective cover.
- Color: You can also choose between a variety of color options. There are transparent, pure-color, and multicolor keyboard covers you can buy in 2020. While transparent covers keep the MacBook Pro feel intact, color-coded keyboards can help you in increasing productivity.
- Material: The material used to construct the keyboard cover can impact the overall typing experience of the user. So, depending on the tactile feedback and other forms of preferences, you have to pick a suitable material.
- Design: If you want to customize the looks of your MacBook Pro keyboard, you can get a cover that has a unique design. If you have already added a design-based case for the MBP, you can get a design-based keyboard cover.
- Compatibility: Apple has changed its keyboard designs over time. This means you have to check if a single product fits the MacBook Pro device that you have. You should also see if the keyboard cover can protect the Function Keys row if you have a non-Touch Bar device.
Of course, we have also used common factors like customer reviews and budget concerns.
Our Picks: Best MacBook Pro Keyboard Covers in 2024
So, here are the best MacBook Pro keyboard covers you can buy in 2020. We’ve included products that work with 13”, 15” and 16” versions of MacBook Pro.
1. Best Ultra-Thin Keyboard Cover: UPPERCASE GhostCover Keyboard Protector for MacBook Pro
Most people look for a simple, thin yet effective product when it comes to protecting their MacBook Pro and laptop keyboards from dust and debris. This keyboard protector from UPPERCASE is an outstanding choice in that it ensures the best level of protection without adding bulk. You can retain almost the same experience of typing, but with enhanced safety.
The keyboard cover is available for the 13” and 15” variants of the MacBook Pro. You can also pick between the Touch Bar and Function Key versions of the case. Both the versions are transparent and keep the elegant look of your MacBook Pro intact. The manufacturer has used industry-grade TPU material to construct every part of the cover.
This product adds some charm to your MacBook Pro keyboard, especially with the backlighting on. In short, you can go for this keyboard if you need something low-key in terms of thickness. It’s also one of the most popular covers out there.
2. Best Multicolor Keyboard Cover: Batianda New Ombre Color Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro
There are times when a multicolor keyboard can help you navigate better and add value to the overall typing experience. If you are looking for such a productive keyboard case, you can check out the Batianda New Ombre Color Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro, which comes at an affordable cost. Although the product is available in a variety of gradient colors, we recommend the Rainbow version here.
It should be noted that this keyboard cover is available for MacBook Pro devices released between 2012 and 2017. Similarly, if you have an old MacBook Air released between 2010 and 2017, you can use the keyboard cover there as well. It means the cover has been designed for the non-Butterfly mechanism that Apple used to have.
Despite being multicolor in design, the product does not add much bulk. You can enjoy convenient typing as well as the benefits of easy washing and cleaning. When it comes to protecting the keyboard from the issues of dust accumulation, it does a decent job.
3. Best Pure Color Keyboard Cover: MOSISO Silicone Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro
If you are not into gradient colors, you can always check out pure-color keyboard covers for your MacBook Pro. By choosing the color of your preference, you can customize your MBP as well. In this case, the MOSISO Silicone Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro is our easiest recommendation. This keyboard cover is available in 20 different pure colors, and you can choose any of them.
The problem, again, is with compatibility. The product works only with the older versions of MacBook Pro — devices that were launched before 2015. So, if you have a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar support, you cannot use this keyboard cover. But, if you have a compatible keyboard, you can add a comfortable environment for working at night, thanks to the backlit system.
Like icing on the cake, the MOSISO Silicone Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro has a thin design. So, it does not interfere with the typing experience or while closing the lid. It adds an adequate level of feedback, and it helps that you can wash the cover if something goes wrong.
4. Best Case and Keyboard Cover Combo: ProCase MacBook Pro 13 Case
A MacBook Pro case is something that you should get when you get a MacBook Pro keyboard cover. If you’re looking for such a package deal, you can consider the ProCase MacBook Pro 13 Case, which comes with one of the best keyboard covers. The best part is that, despite providing competitive protection, both the case and the keyboard cover add little weight to the device.
Here’s the limitation, though. Regardless of the color of the MBP case you choose, you will always get a pure-color keyboard cover of black. The exception is when you get a white case, in which case you get a white-colored keyboard cover. The keyboard cover, as such, is well built and is washable. Because both products are from the same manufacturer, you don’t have to worry about fitting issues.
In terms of compatibility, the ProCase MacBook Pro 13 Case works with MacBook Pro 13” devices launched after 2016. You have to keep in mind that the keyboard cover does not offer protection to the Touch Bar. If you have an MBP with function keys, it means those keys are left without protection.
5. Best Keyboard Cover with Individual Design: SANFORIN Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro
There are also a few keyboard covers that can give an individual touch to your MacBook Pro device. We can, without a doubt, recommend the SANFORIN Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro from this category. This keyboard cover is available in six different designs, such as Bohemian, Cat, Flamingo, Flowers, Red Flower, and Sakuro.
Depending on your taste and preferences, you can pick any of these designs. Each design adds the theme to the overall keyboard, adding the personal touch. You may have difficulty getting used to the structure. However, if you have a blind touch, there is nothing to worry about. At the same time, the covers offer protection from dust, debris, liquid spill, etc.
The SANFORIN Keyboard Cover for MacBook Pro is available for 13” and 15” variants of MacBook Pro devices that were launched after 2016. It should be noted that they don’t protect the function keys if you’ve got a non-Touch Bar MBP.
Useful Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you get the best out of your MacBook Pro keyboard.
- You have to ensure that your MacBook Pro is not exposed to too much dust, primarily if the devices use the Butterfly mechanism keyboard.
- Even when you use a keyboard cover and a case, make sure that you do regular cleaning sessions in a week or month. This will increase the longevity of your MacBook Pro. You can use dedicated Mac cleaning kits for this purpose.
- If you face chronic issues with the Butterfly keyboard, check if you have a device that Apple has offered the replacement program for. Apple will replace the keyboard for free.
- Keeping the MacBook Pro lid closed when not in use can increase the longevity of the keyboard as it prevents more dust from getting in.
These tips, when properly followed, can help you have a smoother experience with the MBP keyboard.
We hope this article helped you find the best keyboard cover for your MacBook Pro device. We have tried to include both standard and premium products that offer competitive protection from dust and debris. You should, however, check the compatibility section before proceeding. Once you have checked it, you can then focus on aspects like design, individual taste and other preferences. In the end, you should prioritize the level of protection and the convenience of typing.