Gone are the days when printers were wired and could only be accessed from one single computer. Wireless printers let you print your printables not only from anywhere in your home but from anywhere in the world!
If you use macOS devices, a compatible wireless printer that works perfectly with your Mac can save you a lot of time, increase productivity, and be immensely convenient. Once the printer is connected to your router/network, it becomes automatically visible and accessible to any of your devices on the same network. You can also set up services like Google Cloud Print and print your documents remotely over the internet!
With a plethora of options available on the market, it may seem daunting to choose the right wireless printer for your needs. Here is our list of the best wireless printers for Mac.
If you are in a rush, don’t worry, we have got all the details right here!
- Epson EcoTank ET-3760 is an all-in-one, supertank printer that can also be used as a scanner and copier. It comes with a range of useful features such as automatic 2-sided printing, voice-activated printing, and an ethernet port.
- Brother HL-L8360CDW offers an impressive printing speed of up to 33 pages per minute (ppm) and comes with features such as automatic 2-sided printing and a 2.7” color touchscreen display. The included toner cartridges have sufficient printing capacity for moderate-heavy use.
- Canon PIXMA TR150 comes with a built-in display, you can connect the printer to your WiFi network and set it up within minutes. Moreover, it has a sleek design and a compact form factor, so it doesn’t stick out as a bulky-looking box and occupies very little space.
Who Should Get This?
It can be annoying and inconvenient to have a printer that doesn’t work with your Mac, and we get that. As more and more Apple devices continue to get rid of ports and wires and embrace the wireless lifestyle, it makes sense to invest in a wireless printer that works seamlessly with your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or any other Mac. If you’re in the market for a new printer or are just looking for an upgrade, a wireless printer is the best way to go in 2022. Whether you’re looking for a printer for your home or your office, a compatible wireless printer will let all your family members or coworkers print from their device without having to bother anyone else.
Best Wireless Printers for Mac: What to Consider in 2022
AirPrint is an Apple technology that makes it effortless to wirelessly print photos and documents from your Mac and other Apple devices without compromising quality. If a printer has AirPrint, it just works with all of your Apple devices right out of the box, and you don’t need to install any additional drivers. All the printers on this list have built-in AirPrint support.
Technology – Inkjet vs. Laser
Inkjet and laser are the two most common technologies used in printers. In general, inkjet printers offer the best print quality but are slow in terms of printing speed. Laser printers, on the other hand, provide decent print quality and are faster than inkjet printers. If you’re looking to print high-quality, professional photos and images with impressive tonal depth, an inkjet printer is a way to go. If you’re looking to print a lot of text and documents quickly and frequently, a laser printer might be more suited for your needs. Laser printers are more expensive compared to inkjet printers that have similar secondary features.
Supertank is a fairly recent technology that was introduced within the last five years. Supertank printers are essentially inkjet printers that have refillable ink tanks instead of cartridges. They give you the ability to replace only what you need while also reducing your environmental footprint. In the long run, they offer massive savings on ink but are more expensive than their cartridge-based counterparts. If you plan to use your printer frequently for printing colored documents and photos, it might be worth investing in a supertank inkjet printer. Otherwise, a normal inkjet printer would suffice for regular home use.
Our Picks: Best Wireless Printers Compatible with Mac in 2022
The Epson EcoTank ET-3760 is a printer, scanner, and copier in one. Being a cartridge-free, supertank printer, it offers massive savings on ink in the long run. It also comes with many features such as automatic 2-sided printing, voice-activated printing via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, and even an ethernet port if you don’t wish to use up your WiFi router’s bandwidth. This is an excellent printer for your office and home office.
What we like:
- Supertank printer with high ink capacity.
- Indicators to monitor ink levels.
- 2.4” color display for quick setup.
- Photo prints have great tonal depth.
What we dislike:
- Requires all colors to be available for printing.
This laser printer from Brother is an ideal choice if you print frequently. It offers an impressive printing speed of up to 33 pages per minute (ppm) and also has automatic 2-sided printing. The 2.7″ color touchscreen display makes it easy to connect it to WiFi. It comes with standard yield toner cartridges that offer around 3000 pages for black and 1800 pages for each of the colors.
What we like:
- High print speeds of up to 33 ppm.
- 250-sheet paper tray.
- Included toner cartridges have ample printing capacity.
What we dislike:
- It cannot be used with third-party toner cartridges at all.
The Canon PIXMA TR150 is a great budget inkjet printer for home use. It comes with a built-in 1.44-inch OLED display, so you can connect the printer to your WiFi network and start printing within minutes. It has a sleek and compact design that doesn’t spoil the look of your desk. It even comes with an optional battery pack, which makes it completely portable “wireless,” letting you print on the go.
What we like:
- Has a convenient USB-c port with data transfer capability.
- Supports a range of options for wireless printing such as Google Cloud Print and Canon PRINT App in addition to Apple AirPrint.
- Elegant and space-saving design.
What we dislike:
- Ink costs can get high when using proprietary cartridges for frequent use
- Does not have automatic 2-sided printing
Useful Tips & Tricks
Here are some tips that’ll help you with the setup process of your wireless printer for Mac:
- Not all AirPrint printers have the same WiFi setup process. Here’s a step-by-step guide from Apple that shows how you can connect your wireless AirPrint printer to your WiFi network, based on the type of printer you have.
- Once your printer is connected to your WiFi network, it will be automatically visible to your Mac, and you will be all set to get started with printing. This handy article from iMore illustrates the exact steps you can follow to use the printer from your Mac.
- You can also use the printer to print photos, documents and even web pages directly from your iPhone or iPad, without the need for any app. This guide from Business Insider shows exactly how you can do that.
- In case you run into issues with your printer, Apple has a few troubleshooting tips here.
Finally, here are a couple of pro tips that will save you money in the long run:
- Use the “Economy Mode” if it’s available on your printer to save ink or toner.
- You can also save ink/toner by using a different font than Arial. Times New Roman, Calibri, and Century Gothic are a few thinner fonts that can help you get significantly more life out of your cartridges (think 25% and above!).
If you’re in the market for a wireless printer for your Mac, it is important to choose one that works without any hiccups and is fully compatible with your device. All of these AirPrint printers are easy to set up, offer flawless connectivity, and do not have any glaring issues.